Meh ... I think schools in the Big 12 need to stop catering to Texas. If Texas wants to be a jerk, then screw them.
I also love that the ACC is expanding to protect itself from the possibility that the SEC may poach some of its teams. I'm a fan of the ACC, I went to the University of Virginia, and there is no denying the fact that the SEC is the best conference. Why wouldn't Florida State, Virginia Tech or Clemson be interested in going there? So I am happy with the moves made by the ACC. I am excited about the thought that we might add UConn and one other. As much as I hate Notre Dame (yes, that's jealousy you hear), I'll take them over Rutgers. But Rutgers is a decent consolation prize as it opens up the ACC to New Jersey and New York. (As a side note, Rutgers also allows the ACC to remain an Atlantic Coast Conference.) I have no desire to see Texas in the ACC.
That said, why should the remaining Big 12 schools stick with Texas? The Big East is decimated. They only have 6 remaining football schools. With the loss of Texas A&M, and if you ditch Texas, you have 8 Big 12 schools. Combined, that is 14 schools. Add TCU next year, realize that you may lose UConn and Rutgers, and you still have a full conference with championship game. You probably also keep your automatic BCS qualifier status.
The Big East can spin off their basketball only schools, get a lot stronger in football and get more access to the midwest television and recruiting markets. The Big 12 can get access to the New England television market. They both can get the stability, the equal revenue sharing, and the conference championship game they desire. And they can stick it to Texas and their television contract.
Hell, it may also force Notre Dame's hand, giving them the chance to add Notre Dame as a football school as well. Seriously, why add Army and Navy to the Big East when you can get Oklahoma and Missouri. Why add BYU to the Big 12 when you can add Ohio, Kentucky, and Florida, as well as possibly Connecticut and New Jersey as television markets?
All of this is Texas' fault. Trust me, you'd do better without them.
No comments:
Post a Comment