As we get closer to 9/11, I think more and more about my lost friend.
I met Paul in the fourth grade at Lu Sutton Elementary School in Novato, California. For the next nine years, I shared many classes with him, played on the same basketball team with him, and developed many good memories. Although we did not run in the same circles, we were close enough that I believe he would consider me one of his friends.
Paul was one of the good guys. He never had a bad thing to say about anyone; he was outgoing and friendly. He was also very smart and very athletic. God blessed him with many wonderful characteristics, and he in turn used them to brighten everyone around him. His parents brought him up to be a good kid, and it showed. He was definitely a person that other people could look up to.
That is why it is so tragic that his life was taken on September 11, 2001. Paul was working in the South Tower of the World Trade Center that day. He had an excellent job doing great work for other people. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I live in Virginia now, but every year at this time, I search the internet for information about him. I am so very happy that his close friends keep his memory alive through such events at the Across the Bay 12K as well as memorials at San Marin High School and Brown University and elsewhere. I have not been able to participate in any of these events. Because I am so far away, I usually do not find out about them until afterwards. I am so happy that I am not the only one that felt touched by his life. I hope that he will always live on in our memories.
Until now, I have not been able to ever show my honor for him. However, I did visit the Ground Zero in 2007, and took pictures of his name on the memorial plaque. I have also visited his memorial at San Marin High School.
Paul was a huge Denver Broncos fan. I remember during the 1985 Super Bowl, Paul rooted for the Miami Dolphins over the hometown San Francisco 49ers just because. He used to chide me everyday that Marino was going to destroy the Niners. The rivalry he had with all of his friends in 1990 over the Bronco/49er Super Bowl was classic. I think he wore his Elway jersey everyday.
This year, for the 10 year anniversary, myself, my wife, her cousin and her cousin's boyfriend will be attending the New York Giants/Washington Redskins game on September 11, 2011, at FedEx Field. They will having special ceremonies honoring those who died on 9/11.
My wife and her cousin are huge Redskins fans, and the boyfriend is a huge Giants fan. They have forbid me from wearing any of my 49er gear. However, they have granted my request to allow me to wear Denver Broncos gear in honor of Paul. If you are reading this and you knew Paul, please feel free to do the same.
Paul, we miss you.

No comments:
Post a Comment